Monday, December 30, 2013

Twenty Fourteen

Resolution is such a definitive word: to resolve oneself or to resolve to do something. Anyone who has made a New Year's resolution knows that it is also a word that gets carried out for a few days or perhaps several weeks at best. Rather than making resolutions, I prefer to have New Years reflections. No, it doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but it sets me up for much less failure.

Twenty fourteen, how do I want to spend thee? Upon reflection, I'm going to focus on several areas and set some definitive goals. Here goes.

Fitness- not really something new for me since I exercise regularly, anyway. For 2014 I'm going to switch it up a bit and pay special attention to upper body strengthening and stretching. Twice a week with the weights and at least 3 times a week with yoga, including the 9 month teacher training that starts in a few weeks.

Finishing- I have a number of uncompleted projects in my closet. Some are mine, some are my mother-in-law's. I will consider 2014 a year of finishing: 2 quilts, a hand appliqué square, an antique silk quilt repair and my MIL's cross stitch. No new fabric will be purchased in 2014. Nobody said this wasn't going to hurt.

First- for the sake of alliteration, I wanted to come up with another F word. I'm going to be mindful to put myself first this year, set limits to ensure I have time for treatments and be honest when I'm unable to do something because of health limitations. No more vague excuses: if I don't have the energy then that's what I'll say.

Bring it, 2014. I'm looking forward to the start of a new year and anticipate that it will be a full and rich one, whatever life sends my way.

1 comment:

environmental fiend said...

I like your "first" resolution and it's a good one for me as well! Funny how difficult it is to do this... for some reason it's fine to do this if you are a healthy person who just needs to do it once in a while, but when you have a chronic disease it seems to take on another, more selfish, meaning.